A stale lifeless prayer life can happen to anyone. But you have choices you can make to breath new life into new routines or resurrect your prayer life if it’s completely dead. In today’s podcast, I share three simple strategies anyone (and really everyone) should apply to praying to keep things fresh.
In short they are:
1. To Keep God Front and Center in Your Prayer by Including Praise
This may sound like an odd thing to say about prayer, but it’s easy for us to start going through the motions of just getting prayer done and treating it like something we need to check off our list for the day. Or, to be wrapped up exclusively in pouring out our concerns to God.
Don’t get me wrong it’s fine to lift up our cares and anxieties. In fact, in scripture we are urged to bring our anxieties to God.
For example, 1st Peter 5:7,
“Cast all you anxieties upon the Him, for He cares for you”
Also, Pauls wrote in Philippians 4:6,
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”
But you don’t want your prayer life to become all about you and your concerns. Imagine a friend who only speaks to you when they need something. Do you really want that to be your relationship with God?
To avoid this trap regularly and intentionally focus your attention on honor God for who God is and what God has done in your life. The best way I have found to do this is to make sure praise is a regularly part of your prayer life. Two great ways to do that are to start every prayer with praise and or have a time of prayer that is completely focused upon adoring God.
Example, one time for 40 days I set aside a prayer time every day when I would do nothing but praise God. I used what I called the Formula of Praise which in short, began with telling God, I love you, then praising God for who God is, and recognizing what God does.
I would also encourage you to listen to Episode #21, Six ways you should approach God’s throne. In that episode I share lessons from Charles Spurgeon about how we should mindfully come into God’s presence.
That podcast will drive home for you the fact that the object of prayer isn’t praying. Pray is about being in God’s presence. Prayer is conversing with God, and the nature of who God is and God’s position of authority over us should very much shape our prayer. So, go check that out.
2. Consciously commit to praying by scheduling prayer time in your day.
Getting busy and pushing prayer to the left over time in your life is all too easy to do. But God deserve to be a priority in your life. And, the bottom line is that we schedule time for what is important to us.
You don’t want to just meet God in passing. The only way to avoid this is to consciously commit time for prayer by scheduling it into your day. So, when will you pray each day — meals, as you commute to work, at your breakfast table, at bedtime, all the above? Commit to one or more times of praying during your day.
3. Experiment with different ways of praying.
I am a big fan of adopting different types of prayer models to create different seasons of prayer in my life; for example, the three-fold prayer of praise I mentioned a moment ago. Or for example, there is a very simple form of remembering to pray for others called a Five Finger Prayer, which involves using you hand as a memory prompt –
- Your thumb is a reminder to prayer for the people closest to you.
- Your pointer is a reminder of people who point the way.
- Your tall finger is a reminder of people in positions of authority
- Your ring finger is a reminder to pray for those who are weak
- Your little finger is, last but not least, your own needs.
Those are just two models – There are many more such as the ACTS prayer or using the Book of Common Prayer.
The idea is to mix up your routines from time to time so you don’t fall in rut. Keep in mind that a prayer model can become a rut if you stick with it to the point of it becoming a legalistic practice of going through the motions. Nevertheless, prayer models can be great tools for broadening your experience of and relationship with God.
I’m not trying to make this complicated. At the end of the day, prayer is just conversing and connecting with God. Models are just great conversation starters that broaden your interaction with God.
Experimenting may also mean switching up your mode of praying for example, praying out loud, writing prayers out, or singing. Small changes like those can make a big difference.
- Keep God Front and Center in Your Prayer by Always Including Praise
- Consciously commit to praying by scheduling prayer time in your day.
- Experiment with different ways of praying.
Get step-by-step instruction and take prayer to the next level.
Okay, so you’ve learned a few simple strategies to refresh your prayer life. They have worked for me. These are only the tip of the iceberg though. If you want more step-by-step instruction, then should purchase my ebook, “Tips on Prayer, A QuickStart Guide to Improving Your Prayer Life.”
In it you’ll discover...
- My personal 7 step sequence for a life-changing daily devotional
- How to create your own custom prayer routine, tailored to overcome your weaknesses
- The 5 factors of prayer that you ABSOLUTELY cannot neglect
- 10 tips to eradicate fatigue so you can stop falling asleep and start paying attention during prayer
- A sure-fire technique to ALWAYS remember a prayer promise and never feel guilty for forgetting again
- How to integrate prayer into your daily life, so you can move past knowing how to pray and into living prayerfully
- 3 ways to FAITHFULLY respond to answered prayer, so that God entrusts you with more
- And much, much more
You get raw instruction with no fluff to help you quickly improve your prayer . These are the best of the best prayer practices I have discovered after years of research and practice.
And the cost is only $9.
You can spend years of your life trying to learn to pray better or you can spend $9 and less than an hour of your time reading this book to start praying better today and harnessing the joy and power of prayer.
Click the button below to instantly purchase your copy.