I have learned the hard way that spiritual growth most frequently happens when we are intentional and committed to it. Duh! That may sound obvious, but is it? For example, what can you list right now that you are doing on a disciplined basis with an intent to grow spiritually…to become a better disciple? If you just paused and groped how to answer those questions, then you aren’t currently exercising the obvious.
I regularly take on practices for set periods of time. For example, right now I am spending 15 minutes of giving thanks every evening for 31 days. I am about halfway through. I will report on how that goes in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime, I encourage you to take on some form of thirty one day exercise that will get you closer to God or closer to being like Jesus. In that spirit I am offering 31 simple suggestions for 5 minutes of focused prayer that you may want to adopt for the next 31 days. If you want to stretch yourself pump the practice upto 15 minutes per day. Keep your focus though around just one selection for 31 days straight. Practicing a focused discipline for a season has a way of transforming us in ways that are difficult to describe.
- Pray for your work.
- Pray for your spouse.
- Pray for a specific person’s spiritual well-being.
- Pray for a specific enemies well-being.
- Pray for your community, national, or world leaders.
- Pray for your pastor.
- Pray for a specific child.
- Listen for God.
- Give thanks.
- Praise God.
- Pray for your Church
- Tell God the stresses in your life and let go of them
- Pray for an answer to a significant question in your life
- Pray for a deeper understanding of the breadth and depth of God’s love for you
- Pray for the restoration of our natural resources
- Pray for a high school graduate you know
- Pray for a specific physical need in someone’s life.
- Pray for a homebound person.
- Pray for someone grieving.
- Pray for a cause that is particularly meaningful to you.
- Pray for reconciliation of a broken or wounded relationship.
- Pray to be free from a specific sin with which you struggle.
- Pray to be more loving
- Pray to be a better steward of your money
- Pray to be a better steward of your time
- Pray for opportunities to use your spiritual gifts.
- Pray for peace
- Pray for someone needing a job
- Pray for a missionary
- Pray for a Sunday School teacher
Bonus prayer suggestion…
32. I would love for people to pray for The Practical Disciple. I hope that doesn’t seem pretentious or selfish in some way, but I ask for your prayers because I truly want this blog to help other people grow in discipleship that they might honor God. I need God’s constant guidance to do that and to do it well. I would hope that God would continue to bless the PD with readers. I would pray that he would fill my mind with exactly what needs to be here. So, even if it is not 5 minutes, I would appreciate inclusion in your prayers regularly. Thanks. Lastly, to those of you who take on a 31 day prayer challenge, please let me know through a comment or email. I would love to hear about your experiences. If a significant number of people take on challenges I will post some tips along the way to help keep you inspired. Blessing to you from The Practical Disciple.